Server status: Up.
Admin contact info (password recovery, whatever): admin@ (the
domain name at the top of the page).
Click here to read the applicable "Disclaimer and Terms
Starting March 15, 2013, Doom2.net is hosting it's own Instant
Messaging chat service. It works as an alternative to
"MSN" (going defunct shortly), "Yahoo chat", "AIM", "ICQ", etc.
To use Doom2.net's Instant Messaging, you would install your
favorite XMPP-enabled chat client, such as Pidgin
, and use it to make an
account on the Doom2.net IM chat server. Pidgin is pretty
good in that it is lightweight AND lets you use lots of
different IM accounts in the same client / at the same time:
There are other XMPP-enabled chat clients out there, if you
wanted to choose a different one. A big list is at
configuration examples here are for Pidgin however, because it's
what Doom2.net is familiar with.
Good things about Doom2.net Instant Messaging:
- It's not going to intentionally be taken away (RIP Microsoft
- It does not have advertisements and never will.
- Of course, it's free.
- It's not Skype. (Microsoft's
Skype-related eavesdropping patent
) ( Supernode
- It's not Google, Facebook, or Twitter, and isn't collecting
your data ( Online
Privacy Fears Stoked By Google, Twitter, Facebook Data
Collection Arms Race
- Communications are 4096-bit encrypted and the hosting hardware is located
in Finland (USA
How to get your account and use the service:
This example is with Pidgin
- you could do the same thing using another XMPP chat client
if you wanted.
1) Install Pidgin.
2) Run Pidgin. See the IM window come up.
3) Click "Accounts", and then "Manage Accounts" at the top of
4) A new window will pop up. Click the "Add..." button at the
bottom of it:
5) In the new window that pops up, set up your new account.
Username: pick your username and put it here
Resource: Put "Home" in here for your home computer, or
"Laptop", or "Wireless", or something. It can look dumb later if
you leave it blank.
Password: (put your desired password)
Local Alias: repeat your username here
Box: "Remember Password": check this if you don't want to type
your password every time you log in
Box at bottom: "Create this new account on the server"
When done, click "Add" button at the bottom.
6) An error window like below should come up after you click
"Add". The message should be the same as what is in the image
It is not a real certificate error! It happens because the
certificate is signed by an authority that is not usually used
for instant messaging. Just click "Accept".
7) Another window will pop up. Fill in your new username and
The fields for "Full Name" and "Email" do not have to be filled
out with real information, BUT:
- "Full Name" is what other people see when you send out contact
- Email address is how your account can be recovered if
you lose your password.
8) If all went well, you will see a "Registration Successful"
9) If back in your "Accounts" window, the "Enabled" checkbox
next to "email@example.com" isn't checked, you can
check it, to make it log in whenever you start Pidgin.
10) To add your friends to Doom2.net Instant Messaging, first
they need to make their own account.
Then, you click "Buddies" and "Add Buddy". You pick your
"chat.doom2.net" account from the dropdown, put in the
firstname.lastname@example.org, set other optional fields if you want,
and click the "Add" button. They'll see the request go through,
and it's like any other Instant Messenger from then on.
Terms of Service:
- The Doom2.net Messenger service is provided "as-is".
- Doom2.net may rename or remove usernames which we feel are
- If Doom2.net decides that for some reason that you are
horrible or abusive, we might remove your account and block your
access to the service. Or, worse!